Workers Compensation Law

Workers Compensation Law

Frequently asked Workers Compensation Law Questions

Exactly what should I do if I get hurt at work or develop a work-related medical condition?

Riverside County Workers Compensation Attorney

Riverside County Workers Compensation Attorney

Report the injury or disease to your employer. Make sure your manager or someone else in management is called soon as possible. If your injury or illness developed slowly (like tendinitis or hearing loss), report it as quickly as you discover or think it was triggered by your job duties. Reporting immediately is required and it helps elevate and prevent problems and hold-ups in receiving your benefits. If your company does not learn about your injury within 30 days, you can lose your right to get workers’ compensation benefits. Get first aid if required. If it’s an emergency, call 911 or go to an emergency clinic immediately. Your employer should see to it that you have access to first aid promptly, and might tell you where to go for treatment. Tell the clinical staff that your injury or health problem is job-related.

Who qualifies for workers compensation benefits?

  • You are an employee of the company
  • You are on the job working at the time of the injury
  • Healthcare has to be provided for by your employer if you get hurt on the job– whether or not you miss out on time from work.
  • You could be qualified to get workers compensation benefits even if you are a temporary or part-time worker.
  • You might be covered by workers’ compensation even if you are called an “independent contractor.”.
  • You do not need to be a legal local of the United States to receive a lot of workers’ settlement advantages.
  • You usually get benefits no matter who was at fault for your injury.
  • You can’t sue your company for a job injury in superior court (in most cases).
  • It’s illegal for your employer to penalize or fire you for having a job injury or for asking for workers’ compensation benefits when you think your injury was triggered by your job.

Riverside County Workers Compensation Attorney Kevin Cortright discusses workers compensation law

Has your workers compensation claim been accepted?

You ought to hear whether your claim is accepted or rejected from your employer or its claims administrator within 90 days from the date the claim form is provided to your employer. If you do not, your injury will be presumed to be covered. While your claim is pending you are entitled to some limited benefits, and once it is accepted you are entitled to the following benefits.

  • Medical care: paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or disease caused by work.
  • Momentary disability (TD) benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual work tasks while recuperating.
  • Permanent disability (PD) benefits: Payments if you do not recover entirely.
  • Supplemental job displacement (SJDB) benefits: (if your date of injury is in 2004 or later on): Coupons to help pay for retraining or job ability enhancement if you don’t recover completely and don’t go back to work for your employer.
  • Survivor benefit: Payments to the spouse, children or other dependents if a worker passes away from a job injury or health problem.

What if I have a disagreement about my benefits? At some point throughout your claim, you or the claims administrator may disagree with the existence or extent of your work related injury. When there is a disagreement, you could be assessed by a competent medical evaluator (QME). If you have an attorney, your lawyer and your claims administrator may agree on a doctor to deal with clinical disagreements.

Do I need a lawyer to file my workers compensation claim?

When a claim is rejected, it means the claims administrator believes your injury is not covered by workers’ compensation. If the claims administrator sends you a letter refuting your claim, you have a right to challenge the decision. If you contest the denial of your claim, your case will be heard by a workers’ compensation administrative law judge (WCJ) at one of the division’s 23 regional offices plus satellites.

What if I have a dispute about my benefits?

At some time during your claim, you or the claims administrator could disagree with exactly what your treating doctor reports about your injury or treatment. When there is a dispute about whether your claim is covered by workers’ compensation you might be assessed by a competent medical evaluator (QME). To qualify as a QME, a medical professional should fulfill additional academic and licensing demands. They need to also pass a test and participate in recurring education on the workers’ payment evaluation procedure. If you have a lawyer, your lawyer and your claims administrator might settle on a physician to fix clinical disputes. This physician is called an agreed medical evaluator (AME).

For injuries on or after Jan. 1, 2013, and since July 1, 2013 for all dates of injury, disagreements about a specific course of medical treatment advised by the treating physician can just be solved through a procedure called independent medical testimonial (IMR).

What do I do if I wish to challenge the denial of my workers compensation claim?

If you want to challenge the rejection of your claim, you will have to submit a case at one the department’s 24 workers compensation boards located around the state. Each DWC office is a trial court where conflicts that emerge from workers’ compensation claims are decided by a judge without a jury.

Where is the Riverside Workers Compensation court located?

Riverside Workers Compensation Board

Riverside Workers Compensation Board

The Riverside Workers Compensation board or court is located at 3737 Main Street, Suite 300 Riverside, CA 92501

Exactly how do I submit a workers compensation case?

In order to have your case heard by a judge, you must first submit an Application for Adjudication of Claim. The application should be filed at the DWC workers compensation board in the county where you live or in the county where you were injured. You should serve the application on all other parties, which is typically the claims administrator.

What happens next after I file my workers compensation claim?

The DWC office where you filed the application will send you a notice confirming that it has been submitted. The notice will include your assigned case number, which will begin with the letters “ADJ” followed by a series of numbers. Keep the notice and utilize the designated case number on all documents and correspondence associating with your case.

How do I get a hearing in front of a workers compensation judge?

You need to file a Declaration of Readiness to Proceed to ask for a hearing. Your case will be scheduled for a hearing called a mandatory settlement conference (MSC).

What occurs at the workers compensation mandatory settlement conference hearing?

You and your claims administrator or their lawyer will appear before a judge. The judge will go over the case with both of you and attempt to aid in reaching a settlement. If a trail is needed the trial will be held before another judge. You must go to the trial. The judge will release a written decision after the trial and provide it to you by mail, which usually happens in between 30 and 90 days after the trial. If either you or the claims adjustor disagrees with the judge’s choice, you can file a Request for Reconsideration.

When and how will I be able to return to work after my injury?

After an injury or illness, returning to work securely and promptly can help in your rehabilitation. After you are hurt on the job, many individuals will certainly work with you to make a decision when you are all set to return to work and exactly what work you will do.

Your primary addressing medical professional.
Your company (supervisors or other in management).
The cases administrator.
Your attorney, if you have one.

It is important that everyone stay in close call throughout the process. You ought to actively communicate with your dealing with doctor, your company and the cases administrator concerning:.

The job you did just before you were hurt.
Your clinical condition and the sort of job you can do now.
The type of work your employer could possibly offer to you or whether your task tasks could be altered throughout your healing.
Companies are additionally offered with motivations to obtain hurt employees back to work as quickly as possible.

How is a workers compensation case settled?

Riverside County injured workers are helped by their lawyers at the Riverside County Workers Compensation Board

Riverside County injured workers are helped by their lawyers at the Riverside County Workers Compensation Board

Your case is resolved when there is an agreement in between you and the claims administrator or a judge determines your workers’ settlement monetary payments and future treatment that will be supplied to you. A workers compensation judge will review your settlement to make sure it is adequate.

Exactly what sorts of settlements are there?

There are 2 different ways to settle your case:

Stipulations with Request for Award (stips). which provides a predetermined amount based upon factors such as the body part injured, the extent of the permanent injury, your salary, job type, and age. In this type of settlement future medical is left open and provided by the workers compensation insurer.

Compromise and Release (C&R).
One payment – The claims administrator and the applicant agrees on an amount to resolve your claim. This is generally paid in a lump sum. Medical treatment – If the lump sum includes the estimated cost of future healthcare, the claims administrator will not pay your physician. This becomes your obligation.

What if my case doesn’t settle?
If you and the claims administrator are unable to settle on a settlement, your conflict will have to be decided by a workers’ settlement judge.

Serving the surrounding Riverside County:

Aguanga Workers Compensation, Anza Workers Compensation, Canyon Lake Workers Compensation, Hemet Workers Compensation, Homeland Workers Compensation, Idyllwild Workers Compensation, Lake Elsinore Workers Compensation, March Air Force Base Workers Compensation, Menifee Workers Compensation, Moreno Valley Workers Compensation, Mountain Center Workers Compensation, Murrieta Workers Compensation, Nuevo Workers Compensation, Perris Workers Compensation, Riverside Workers Compensation, San Jacinto Workers Compensation, Sun City Workers Compensation, Temecula Workers CompensationWildomar Workers Compensation, Winchester Workers Compensation

Contact Us Today!

Riverside County Injury Lawyer

Call Now: 1.951.290.3398